20070704

In Flames

by Ellen "EJ" Sackett

The candle’s flame taunts and teases, shifting back and forth in the quiet as if it were slow dancing without a partner. It silently laughs as I pass my fingers over it in a game of catch-me-if-you-can, and of course I can’t and it doesn’t. I try to stay there a second longer, just to see what it would feel like. I feel the angry sting of fire long after I shrink back, so intense that I can’t stand it an instant more. How could he go through with it, douse himself with gasoline, and then strike the match? I stare at the red-hot glow and shiver.

6S - C1

Ellen "EJ" Sackett, creator of The "IT'S FOUR O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE" Club, writes "The World Around Us" for As We Are Magazine and "At Home with Ellen" for HOME. She wanted to be Oprah when she grew up, but since that job was taken, she decided to become a concert harpist instead. After a life of world travel, center stage, and harp schlepping, EJ is happiest at home, creating on her laptop. Get to know Ellen better by visiting her website, or email her.

5 comments:

Melody said...

Intense six, EJ, nicely done.

Kelley said...

powerful EJ. Would make a breathtaking poem. Have I told you today how much I love your writing?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and sad, it moves with a sombre emotion to try to understand that which is not understandable
Love your work ej. Gillian

MJ said...

ej, This is awesome! I love how you lead into him dousing himself with gasoline. You're an amazing writer!
Love, MJ

Here's my creds. said...

I didn't lead him, MJ. He did it himself. :-( ej